If you have ever wondered about upgrading your bathroom or are in the midst of a renovation project, you may have come across the term “one piece toilet.” But what is a one piece toilet, and why might it be a game-changer for your bathroom?
In this blog, we will learn almost everything about a one piece toilet. We will explore their features, benefits, and how they differ from the more traditional two piece toilets.
A one piece toilet is, at its core, what it sounds like—a toilet made from a single, unified piece. This means that the toilet bowl and the tank are seamlessly fused together into one continuous unit In simple terms, it is one solid piece, as opposed to the more common two piece toilets.
In a one piece toilet, the bowl and the tank are connected. This connection creates a sleek and streamlined appearance. This design eliminates the joint between the bowl and the tank found in two piece toilets. Usually, these toilets are made from materials like porcelain, ceramic, or vitreous china.
In terms of design, one piece toilets have a wide range. You can select various designs, from classic to contemporary. Plus, you can choose from different shapes, such as elongated or round bowls. On top of that, you can select from various seat heights for added comfort.
A one piece toilet does have some features that separate it from other types of toilets. Here are some notable features that you should know:
- One piece toilets have a sleek and modern appearance because there are no joints between the bowl and tank. They are easy to clean because of their streamlined design.
- Compared to two piece toilets, they often take up less space. Therefore, they are a great choice for smaller bathrooms. Speaking of space, there are many differences between a one piece toilet and a two piece toilet.
- Cleaning a one piece toilet is a breeze because there are no gaps where dirt or grime can accumulate.
- These toilets come in various shapes, colors, and designs to suit different bathroom aesthetics.
Now that you have the answer to the question, “What is a one piece toilet?” it is time to explore the benefits of having one in your bathroom. Apart from giving your bathroom an elegant look, a one piece toilet offers several benefits, like the following.
Like I said earlier, a one piece toilet is ideal for bathrooms with limited room to spare. Usually, these toilets have a compact design for seamless integration between the bowl and tank.
Hence, they take up less space compared to the larger, bulkier two piece toilets. Overall, these toilets are great space savers.
Cleaning the bathroom is not a favorite chore for most people, but with a one piece toilet, it becomes a bit less daunting. As mentioned earlier, the absence of joints in one piece toilets means there are fewer places for dirt, grime, and bacteria to hide. As a result, these toilets will require less time and effort for cleaning compared to a two piece toilet.
One piece toilets are known for their sleek and modern appearance. They come in various styles, shapes, and colors. So, you will have plenty of options to choose a design that matches your bathroom’s aesthetics.
Whether you prefer a classic, traditional, contemporary, or minimalist style, there is likely a one piece toilet that suits your taste.
Nowadays, almost everyone is eco-conscious, and one piece toilets have an edge in terms of water efficiency. Many of these toilets come with low-flow or dual-flush mechanisms, which can conserve water.
With the dual-flush option, you can choose a lighter flush for liquid waste and a stronger flush for solid waste. This feature will ultimately save water and lower your water bills.
While one piece toilets have many advantages, you should be aware of their disadvantages as well. For the following drawbacks, some people don’t want to install a one piece toilet in their bathrooms.
One piece toilets tend to be more expensive than their two piece counterparts. If you are on a tight budget, the upfront cost of a one piece toilet might be a drawback.
One piece toilets are heavier due to their single-unit construction. This can make them more challenging to install, especially if you are doing it yourself. You might need extra help or equipment to safely set it in place.
If a part of a one piece toilet, such as the tank or bowl, gets damaged, it can be more costly and complicated to repair or replace. With a two piece toilet, you can often replace just the damaged part, which is typically more affordable.
The compact design of one piece toilets can be a disadvantage for some users. If you are accustomed to the larger size of a toilet, you might find the seating area of a one piece toilet smaller and less comfortable.
Finding replacement parts for one piece toilets can be a bit more challenging than for two piece toilets. It will be even harder to find parts for an older or less common model. Finding replacement parts for a one piece toilet is scarce, and you should keep that in mind while making your purchase.
To decorate your bathroom in your preferred way, you need to learn how to install a one piece toilet. With that said, you should also learn how to keep them in good working condition to expect long-lasting performance.
Keeping these things in mind, let’s break down the installation process and some maintenance tips.
Installing a one piece toilet is pretty easy. In fact, it can be a DIY project if you are handy with basic tools and plumbing. However, if you are not comfortable with DIY work or if you want to ensure a professional job, hiring a plumber is a good idea.
Here is a brief overview of the installation process:
- Prepare the Area: Clear the space around the toilet’s installation area. Make sure the flange (the part that connects the toilet to the sewer pipe) is clean and in good condition.
- Assemble the Wax Ring: Place a wax ring on the flange. This will develop a watertight seal between the toilet and the sewer pipe.
- Set the Toilet: Carefully lower the one piece toilet over the wax ring. While doing this, you must align the mounting bolts with the holes on the toilet base. Press down firmly to compress the wax ring and create a seal.
- Secure the Toilet: Install nuts and washers on the mounting bolts. After that, tighten them evenly. Try not to over-tighten them to prevent damage to the toilet.
- Connect the Water Supply: Attach the water supply line to the fill valve on the bottom of the tank.
- Test the Installation: Turn on the water supply and check for any leaks. If there are no leaks, your one piece toilet is ready to use.
Just like installation, maintaining your one piece toilet is relatively straightforward. Follow these maintenance tips to prolong the lifespan of a one piece toilet:
- Regular Cleaning: Wipe down the toilet with a mild cleaning solution on a regular basis. Don’t use abrasive materials that could scratch the surface.
- Avoid Harsh Chemicals: Refrain from using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners in the tank or owl. These chemicals have a reputation for damaging the toilet’s components.
- Check for Leaks: Periodically inspect for any leaks around the base and under the tank. If you notice a leak, you should fix it as soon as possible.
- Monitor the Flushing Mechanism: Pay attention to the flush handle, flapper, and fill valve. If you notice any issues, like a weak flush or continuous running water, consider adjusting or replacing these components.
- Replace Parts as Needed: Over time, some parts of your one piece toilet may start to wear and tear. These may include a deteriorating flapper or a leaking fill valve. If that is the case, consider replacing them to maintain optimal performance. You can also consider using a one piece toilet repair kit.
Many people who are trying to update the aesthetics of their bathrooms somehow get a one piece toilet and install it. In the end, they are not satisfied with the result since the toilet literally enhances the bathroom’s appearance.
Therefore, while choosing a one piece toilet, you need to consider the following key factors to make an informed choice:
The size of your bathroom is a critical factor. If you have a small bathroom with limited space, look for a compact one piece toilet that doesn’t overwhelm the area. Measure the available space to ensure your chosen toilet fits comfortably.
In addition to the bathroom’s size, you must consider the design and style of a one piece toilet that best complements your bathroom decor. You can choose from different bowl shapes (elongated or round) and colors. Moreover, you can even look for special features like soft-close seats or slow-closing lids.
Your budget plays a significant role in your decision. One piece toilets come at a range of prices. So, consider how much you are willing to invest in your toilet. After that, find one that matches your budget while still meeting your requirements.
To some people, the flushing mechanism is a crucial factor in a toilet’s performance. It is wise to choose a one piece toilet with an efficient flush system.
Many one piece toilets feature dual-flush options, which allow you to choose between a full flush and a partial flush. This can be a great feature if you want to reduce your water bills.
Think about who will be using the toilet. If you have family members with specific accessibility needs, look for one piece toilets with ADA-compliant seat heights. Comfort is also a priority, so consider features like seat shape and height when making your choice.
Let’s revisit the question we began with: What is a one piece toilet? Simply put, it is a seamless, modern, and space-saving toilet design that can elevate the aesthetics and functionality of your bathroom.
Besides convenience, a one piece toilet provides a touch of sophistication in your bathroom. It is a choice that combines modern design with practicality.